EC: Paul Reilly, Allie Petonic, Andrew Kreighbaum, Caleb-Michael Files, Daniela Galarza, David DeJesus, Don Griesheimer, Drew Waxman, Elise Bryant, Jeremy Sprinkle, Justin Moyer, Katie Mettler, Marissa Lang, Mark Pattison, Nina Goldman, Samantha Trueblood, Sophia Nguyen, Pratheek Rebala, Dan Gabor, Jason Albright.
Staff: Paul Reilly, Cet Parks, Eric Geist, Evan Yeats, Sammi Sluder
Contracts Approved: American Nurses Association
Bargaining Committees Approved: Baltimore Sun; Charlotte Observer; Texas Staff Union; Washington Post; CNS.
Meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM
- Approval of Executive Council Minutes from April 2022.
- Approval of the membership report.
- Approval of the financial report.
- Approval of legal fees.
- Approval of contract at American Nurses Association.
- Approval of the following bargaining teams:
- Baltimore Sun: Lily Reed, Mary McCauley, David Wright, Lea Skene and Christine Condon.
- Texas Staff Union: Thomas Jones, Bianca Castro, Claudia Morera, Claudia Flores, and Phyllis Ruffin.
- Washington Post: Michael Brice-Saddler, Hau Chu, Dave DeJesus, Joe Fox, Daniela Galarza, Pat Jacob, Sarah Kaplan, Marissa Lang, Katie Mettler, Justin Moyer, Razzan Nakhlawi, Sophia Nguyen, Jason Samuels and Yu Vongkiatkajorn.
- Charlotte Observer: Hannah Lang, Hannah Smoot, Langston Wertz, Paige Masten, Payton Guion, Sara Coello, Will Wright.
- Catholic News Service: Mark Pattison, Barb Fraze, Chaz Muth, Anna Capizzi Galvez, Dennis Sadowski.
- Approval of authority to arbitrate two cases at BBNA, one relating to the denial of reasonable accommodation for employees returning to work and another relating to the discharge of an employee who is unable to return to work due to a medical condition.
Don Griesheimer moved to accept the consent agenda, seconded by Mark Pattison. Motion Carries.
Cet Parks discussed the upcoming contract bargaining process at the Tidewater unit and the Baltimore Sun. Cet requested authority to proceed with discussions around merging the Chesapeake unit into the Baltimore Sun unit. Mark Pattison moved, Caleb Michael Files seconded. Motion Carries.
Sammi Sluder requested discretionary authority to file for arbitration in response to the Baltimore Sun’s violation of the contract to pay legitimate expenses. Sluder also requested authority to file a ULP at SEIU 500 over management’s refusal to provide information required to administer the contract. Caleb Michael Files moved, Elise Bryant seconded. Motion Carries
Evan Yeats requested approval of a one-year extension at Student Action with the Farmworkers unit. Jeremy Sprinkle moved, Don Griesheimer seconded. Motion Carries.
Cet Parks & Paul Riley requested council authorization to explore a merger with the independent union representing the reporters at the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Caleb Michael-Files moved, Samantha Trueblood seconded. Motion Carries.
Caleb Michael Files moved to provide Katie Mettler & Dan Gabor with discretionary authority to approve a merger with the unit at Allentown Morning Call.
Dan Gabor requested authority to explore a merger with the Hazleton, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia locals. Nina moved, Caleb seconds. Motion Carries.
Samantha Trueblood moved to adjourn. Elise seconds. Meeting was adjourned at 7:58PM.