Delegates to The Newspaper Guild Sector Conference of the Communications Workers of America have voted to change the name of the 30,000-member union to The NewsGuild.
The Newspaper Guild union came into being as the American Newspaper Guild in 1933. It became TNG after expanding to Canada in 1951. During TNG’s last convention in June 1997, it formally affiliated with CWA.
For the full story on the name change as well as other highlights of the recent sector conference, visit www.newsguild.org.
The CWA convention will be in Detroit, June 6-10.
Here’s a link to an April 1999 Local 32035 Guild Forum about other union name changes that have affected the now-known-as Washington-Baltimore NewsGuild.